Once the breast augmentation decision has been made and you have selected a plastic surgeon for your procedure, the next choice is often the type of implant you want to use for your surgery. With three good options to choose from, you can tailor your augmentation to your particular concerns and the outcome you hope to achieve. To help you in the decision-making process, Carl N. Williams MD Plastic Surgery has and overview of the three different types of implants available today.
The FDA has approved saline implants for women age 18 and over and all women undergoing reconstruction after breast cancer. These implants are crafted from a silicone shell that is filled with a sterile saline solution once the device is placed into the breast tissue. These implants can be either round or teardrop-shaped and smooth or textured. They also come in three different profiles, indicating how the implants project from the chest. The variety allows us to customize your implants to your body proportions and desired results.
- Less expensive than other implants
- Requires a shorter incision for placement
- Can be filled to the patient’s specifications
- Firmer, less natural feel than silicone implants
- A rupture will quickly result in distortion of breast
- More prone to visible rippling
Silicone implants are FDA-approved for women age 22 and over and any woman seeking reconstruction after breast cancer surgery. In this case, the silicone shell is prefilled with a jelly-like silicone substance that more closely resembles natural breast tissue. Silicone implants are round and feature many different sizes to suit every patient’s body proportions. There are also three different projection profiles to choose from in silicone implants.
- Looks and feels more like natural breast tissue
- Lower risk for visible rippling
- Ruptures will not change the look or shape of the breast
- Require a larger incision to place them
- Must regularly be monitored to assess for tears or ruptures
- They are more expensive than saline
Gummy Bear Implants
Gummy bear implants are technically known as form-stable or highly-cohesive gel implants and are a newer version of the silicone devices. These implants are filled with a substance that resembles the texture of the gummy bear candies, which is where they got their nickname. If the implant tears or is ruptured, it will hold its original shape better than any other implant on the market today. They come in a teardrop shape and feature a range of heights, sizes and profiles.
Gummy Bear Advantages:
- Shape is consistent even in the event of a tear or rupture
- They have a very natural look
- They have a lower risk of migration (shifting within the breast tissue)
Gummy Bear Disadvantages:
- Some women do not like the firmer feel of this implant
- More expensive than other implant options
- Requires a longer incision comparable to other silicone implants
Any of these implants might be the right choice for you, based on numerous factors you and your plastic surgeon will consider before your surgery. Rest assured that no matter which implant Dr. Williams recommends for you, he is committed to providing you with the most natural, beautiful look from your augmentation procedure. In addition to selecting your implant, you and Dr. Williams will discuss where the implants will be placed and the incisions that will be used to give you the final result that fits you perfectly.
Breast augmentation gives you the sensual curves you did not get from Mother Nature. With the help of Dr. Williams at Carl N. Williams MD Plastic Surgery, you can rest assured the results of your breast augmentation surgery will be aesthetically pleasing overall. To learn more about this procedure, contact us today at 702-259-3223.